This course provides Bureau employees with an introduction to flood forecasting and warning at the Bureau.
There is currently no assessment related to this course but there are recommended ACTIONS for completion. The course content is expected to take between 4-6 hours for completion with an additional 4-5 hours for the completion of four external COMET courses.
This course will continue to be developed in 2021 and as roles and responsibilities within Community Services Group (CSG) change for flood operations.
Flood Scenarios Outlook : Production
This unit is required for any flood forecaster working operationally on the flood desk (beyond the flood support level).
By the end of this course you will be able to:
- Understand the purpose of the Flood Scenarios Outlook.
- Use the functionality in HyFS to issue Flood Scenarios Outlook.
- Carry out basic trouble shooting and have knowledge of contingency procedures.
|Prerequisite:||This course is only open to those on the Flood Competency Register.
Understanding of the HyFS System through HY1 and HY2.
|Method:||Online modules with exercises|
|Duration:||2-3 hours of modules, quiz responses and practice.
|Assessment:||Online quiz, practical activity and short answer response
The Flash Flood Advisory Resource (FLARE) is a website and telephone and email advisory service that supports organisations with flash flood warning responsibilities to design, implement and manage fit-for-purpose flash flood warning systems.
As an online repository, FLARE provides resources such as:
- The adopted approach to flood warning in Australia
- An overview of the agreed National Flash Flood Warning Responsibilities
- Standards and guidelines
- Examples of currently operational flash flood warning systems and agency experiences
- A conceptual approach to developing a flash flood warning system
- Recommended considerations for an effective flash flood warning system
Please 'enrol' in the course to access the contents.