Australia is a diverse and tolerant nation, and Melbourne is known as one of the most liveable - and safest - cities in the world. Overseas students rarely experience safety concerns while they are studying in Australia.

Find out more about Melbourne:

What is CRICOS?

The ESOS Act  requires providers of courses to international students to register their institution and the courses they offer with the Australian Government Department of Education and Training (DEET) through the  Tertiary Education Quality and Standards Agency (TEQSA). This register is called the Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students (CRICOS).

TEQSA approve registration before a code is allocated and the details are recorded on the CRICOS Register. BMTC and its agents must provide the CRICOS Provider Number when promoting a course to overseas students.

The Bureau of Meteorology Training Centre (BMTC) is CRICOS Provider Number 02015K.

The agents who act on behalf of BMTC in dealing with overseas students or intending overseas students are:

   Dr Mick Pope
   Manager, Meteorologist Initial Training
   Bureau of Meteorology Training Centre

What you need to know about visas

To study at BMTC as an overseas student you must have a valid student visa.

To obtain a valid student visa you must be sponsored by the National Meteorological and Hydrological Service (NMHS) of your country of residence. Privately funded students are not accepted into BMTC.

Student visas

The Australian Government issues student visas for full-time study on the understanding that you study on-campus and have sufficient funds to cover your tuition fees and living expenses for the duration of your time in Australia. BMTC will arrange for a Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) to be issued once the sponsoring NMHS has provided the required information. The student uses the CoE to apply for a visa at an Australian Diplomatic Mission (i.e. Australian Government office) in your home country. The Australian Government office in your country may be an Embassy, High Commission, Consulate or Consulate-General. For a reader-friendly list of Australian Government offices around the world, please click: Australian Diplomatic Mission.

The Australian Government site Study in Australia is full of useful information.

Need help?

With any issue relating to a visa, the Bureau of Meteorology Training Centre is happy to help. We have specialists with extensive experience regarding visa applications and information. Please Contact Us. (

Last modified: Wednesday, 11 January 2023, 12:39 PM