About our weather courseIntroduction to Meteorology (I2M) is a weather course delivered by professional meteorologists from the Bureau of Meteorology. This specialised introductory course will arm you with the practical weather knowledge you need to make critical decisions and manage risk.
The course content is relevant to government and private organisations, as well as individuals with an interest in the science of meteorology.
How to enrol
Ensure you have registered for an account and are logged in (refer to the enrolment guide for assistance), then click the option below to enrol. Access to the course will be granted automatically after payment has been made.
Introduction to Meteorology Online
- Online course that can be completed at your own pace.
- Ten of our most popular modules have been packaged with bespoke graphics and video to make the weather come alive.
- The Global Circulation, Synoptic Scale Systems, Watching the Weather, The Weather Forecast Process, Thunderstorms and Severe Weather, Understanding Rainfall Forecasts, Climate Principles, Fire Weather and Heatwaves, Tropical Cyclones, Flood Forecasting.
- Each module takes 1 to 1.5 hours to complete, so we recommend completion over 2-3 days.
- Pricing is $224 (including GST).
- Enrol here for Introduction to Meteorology Online
Virtual Instructor-Led Courses
- Introduction to Meteorology course delivered in our virtual classroom.
- Delivered over 4 half-days, generally 08:45 to 12:30 AEST each day.
- Course size is limited to 20 people to ensure a personalised experience.
- Each course is facilitated by a meteorologist trainer, who can answer questions and demonstrate concepts in real time.
- Pricing is $583 (including GST).
- Course Dates:
- We are currently heavily booked for the rest of 2022 and are looking at options late in the year.
Looking for more options?Additional dates and tailored content can be created to meet the needs of your organisation, including one-day masterclasses, face to face delivery and bulk enrolments. Contact the Course Manager for group bookings and pricing.
What will I learn?
- Basic principles of atmospheric science and weather forecasting
- Major systems which influence the weather
- The broad range of weather and warning services delivered by the Bureau of Meteorology, and how you can use these to make better, more informed decisions
Read our course overview for more information.
How do I shape the course for my interests?
After enrolling in your preferred instructor-led course, you can indicate your elective preferences on the pre-course survey. We'll cover the most
popular electives selected by course participants from the list below:
- thunderstorms and severe weather (always covered)
- flood warnings
- tropical cyclones
- fire weather and heatwaves
- climate principles and climate outlooks
- marine weather
Read our electives overview for more information.
Who do I contact?
Contact the Course Manager via email: firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions, or to register your interest in a future instructor-led course.