Wonders of the weather
Our Introduction to Meteorology course is designed and delivered by professional Bureau meteorologists. They will arm you with the practical weather knowledge you need to make critical decisions and manage risk in your personal and professional life. You'll learn about the:
- fundamental reasons behind why the atmosphere behaves the way it does and how that influences our weather
- broad scale drivers of our weather
- ways we watch and measure the weather, including direct observations and remote sensing
- methods meteorologists use to forecast the weather
- ways you can interpret and utilise the range of weather and warning services delivered by the Bureau of Meteorology to make better, more informed decisions.
- fire weather
- tropical cyclones
Our course is available in 2 formats to best meet your needs:
- an online course for individuals
- an instructor-led course for groups and businesses
Individual online course
Our online course is made up of 10 modules which you can do at your own pace. Packaged with bespoke graphics and videos to make the weather come alive, these modules each take about 60 to 90 minutes to complete. Learn at your on pace, at a time which suits you.
You can access the course as many times as you want for up to 12 months, even after you've completed it. After finishing all 10 modules you receive a certificate of completion.
This course costs $245 (including GST).
Group-based instructor-led courses
Our instructor-led course is adapted to the needs of the attendees and can be taken in-person or through our virtual classroom. It's offered to business groups of up to 20 people at a time.
Each course is facilitated by a meteorologist trainer, who can answer questions and demonstrate concepts in real time.
While times will vary depending on the needs of your group, a typical course takes place over 4 half-days. As an alternative, there's also a condensed version of the course which takes 2 half-days.
To make an enquiry or find out more about our virtual instructor-led courses, contact email@example.com.
How do I shape the instructor-led course for my group's interests?
During your business' enrolment discussion you'll be asked to indicate your elective preferences in a survey. Depending on your preferences and the course you've booked we'll normally cover 5 to 6 basic course topics, and 3 to 4 elective topics.
Elective topics to choose from include:
- climate drivers and outlooks,
- fire weather and heatwaves,
- tropical cyclones, and
You can find out more about the specifics we cover in these topics in our electives overview (PDF).
Make an enquiry
Tailored content can be created to meet the needs of your organisation, as well as face-to-face delivery and bulk enrolments. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for group bookings and pricing.