About our weather courseIntroduction to Meteorology (I2M) is a weather course delivered by professional meteorologists from the Bureau of Meteorology. This specialised four half-day online (or two days face-to-face) introductory course will arm you with the practical weather knowledge you need to make critical decisions and manage risk.
The course content is relevant to government and private organisations, as well as individuals with an interest in the science of meteorology.
Update on 2022 courses
Click on your preferred course date and location to enrol.
The course size is limited to ensure a personalised experience. No prior experience required.
2022 online course dates:
- 6-9 June 2022 Each day: 08:45 to 12:30 AEST (GMT+10) FILLING
- Further course dates for the remainder of 2022 are currently being considered
Refer to the enrolment guide for assistance.
How much does it cost?Discounted online course price for 2022 is $583 (including GST)
Face-to-face course price for 2022 is $1082 (including GST)
To ensure the wellbeing of our students and instructors, our two-day face-to-face Introduction to Meteorology courses will be held at Cliftons Venues. You can read about the stringent health and safety measures at Cliftons Venues here to find out more on how we are keeping you safe.
Want us to come to you?Additional dates and tailored online course content can be made available for your organisation. Contact the Course Manager for group bookings and pricing.
Keep in touch
Receive email updates about the Bureau's Introduction to Meteorology course, including course announcements, additional dates and educational resources.
What will I learn?
- Basic principles of atmospheric science and weather forecasting
- Major systems which influence the weather
- The broad range of weather and warning services delivered by the Bureau of Meteorology, and how you can use these to make better, more informed decisions
Read our course overview for more information.
How do I shape the course for my interests?
After enrolling in your preferred course you can indicate your elective preferences on the pre-course survey. We'll cover the most
popular electives selected by course participants from the list below:
- thunderstorms and severe weather (always covered)
- flood warnings
- tropical cyclones
- fire weather and heatwaves
- climate principles and climate outlooks
- marine weather
Read our electives overview for more information.
Who do I contact?
Contact the Course Manager via email: email@example.com